Slaying The Crown Molding Monster

Posted by Steve Cuddihy On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 0 comments
It's a new day. In Part One of my Crown Molding Blog Post, I installed my first two pieces in about three hours. I was fine with that since this was my first time installing crown molding. It gave me confidence and I was ready to tackle the rest of the room. Here is Part Two and the conclusion of this part of the project.

My next two pieces to install will connect the first of two outside corners in this room. A nine foot section above the HDTV and a twelve inch section to complete the entryway. This also is my first outside corner. This was different because the crown molding will extend beyond the corner and makes the piece I cut just a couple inches longer than what I measure for the wall length. Cut it too short, and it wont meet up with the other side of the corner. My gut said to cut it just a tad longer than what I measure, then trim it down to here it needs to be so it matches up nicely with the other side. That was the right idea and this corner turned out great since it was exactly 90 degrees.


Over on the other corner of the nine foot section, I have my left speaker wire coming out of the wall. This too will be hidden with the crown molding. Oh yeah, to install the last two pieces took about an hour and a half. So I improved my time from yesterday!


My longest wall in the room, about 18 feet in length. It felt like I did half the room, even though this was only two more pieces of Crown Molding. That is round two of the Stanley Cup playoffs between Nashville and St Louis that I was watching.


The last portion of the crown molding has two inside corners and one outside corner. The last piece, as you can see ends with the other side of my fireplace. My fireplace covers two walls, no seriously, two walls. These three corners were a bit challenging. The two inside corners were 92 degrees, the outside corner was 86 degrees. So I found a chart that gave me slightly different bevel and miter cuts to account for the non-square corners. They turned out fairly well. You can clearly see the gaps in the corners, but they are minimal.


After adding the painters caulk to the nail holes and corners, it looks flawless! I also painted over the caulk so in case it discolors in ten years, the holes wont reappear.


This is just a closer look at the finished caulk job. Next up is painting window trim, adding baseboard and finally getting carpet installed.


0 comments:

Post a Comment