Cable Company Visit

Posted by Steve Cuddihy On Sunday, July 10, 2016 0 comments
I am getting close to adding the Sheetrock to the new wall, but one last thing to do is call the cable company to install a new line where the TV is going to reside. This proved to be more difficult than I anticipated since they normally install the cable lines in an older house like mine by drilling on the outside of the house wall. It's simple and quick for them, but it's ugly for me to have a black coax cable run along the outside of my house.

I currently have one cable line running from the back of my home, around the side, over a door that leads into this family room, then finally it jets into my bedroom wall. This side of the house has my drive way and is the second most visible side of my house. Since I am moving my TV from the back of my house to the side of my house, that means another coax cable will be run from the back of the house, over the door and another hole drilled fifteen feet from my other coax cable outlet.

My plan  is simple, get rid of all of the cables that run on the second most visible side of my home by drilling in the back of the house and into the ceiling where cable lines can be hidden from sight, like they should be. Plus, I want a second line to run through the new wall and into my bedroom. This will eliminate all of the visible cable lines on the side of my house.

I had Omar out to my house. There was a drizzle of rain coming down. Just enough to get everything wet and stay wet. I told Omar the plan I had for where I wanted the cable to be run. He looked at me puzzled until I showed him the open stud wall I had just built. It actually to some convincing for him to do what I had requested. He took a deep breath and left for his van to get supplies.

He came back with a tape measure, his drill, and an 18" tube that he normally uses to pass the cable through the wall. when I looked at the tube, I knew that wouldn't work since he needed to pass the cable at least four feet to the opening in the ceiling, but I let him try his method first. He drilled the hole, attached the coax cable to his 18" tube, and inserted into the freshly drilled hole.

Omar then came inside the house, looked at how far he needed to go and went back to his van. He returned with nothing, but told me he needed a longer tube to pass the cable. Ah ha! It was Omar's lucky day as I just happened to have a 12 foot tube for doing that very thing! We worked together, him from the outside, me standing on my ladder, and there it was, a new cable line exactly where I wanted it to be.



Now this I wasn't expecting, but he assured me it would be just fine. He only ran one line into the house, then split it here. My only concern is what if that line, or either line goes bad in the future, how does it get repaired? I know the answer, a new line run along the side of my home.


This is the beautiful part of the cable line. All that is visible now is this small little cable line. The rest is hidden in the decorative corner piece on the house. I couldn't be happier. You did great work Omar, thank you.


0 comments:

Post a Comment