Floating Corner Shelves - Part 1

Posted by Steve Cuddihy On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 0 comments
I had received a Pinterest message from my lovely wife about floating corner shelves for my daughters room. I was intrigued with the idea since I've seen plenty of floating shelf plans and ideas. Yet I hadn't seen plans for floating corner shelves.

So I researched the project for some ideas. Surprisingly, I only found a couple of websites that had corner floating shelves. In reality, it was two DIY blogs and both used 2x4's for the inside structure. So, I centered my original plans around 2x4's on paper.


In this crude drawing of plans, the only part that was set in stone was the outer dimensions. The 46" by 28" shelf length was here it stay. Everything else was a guess and up for debate once I started the project. After looking through my available pile of project wood and the logistics of it, I decided that the 2x4's was not going to happen. It seams a bit overkill, plus I felt I could do better than the two web plans I stumbled across.

Instead I opted for 1x3 pine for the skeleton of the project. I had most of it on hand and it made the shelves a bit more precision on my part. As I started cutting the wood and laying it out on my shop floor, I was happy with the decision to abandon the 2x4's.


I have the Kreg Pocket Hole jig that I love using for as many of my projects as I can. This project was another perfect use for it since all of the pocket holes will be concealed by the outer shell. Now I don't have the fancy, quick release Kreg jig. Instead, I've always used one of my Rockler wood clamps to get the job done.


I'm making two shelves total, with seven 7" boards per shelf. Six of the boards will have two holes each and the seventh board will have two on one end and two on the other end. This will be the inside corner  to make a sturdy square.



From here it's time to clamp all the boards together to complete the skeleton of the project. I had to use my Rockler wood clamps again to keep the boards in line while I placed the screws into the boards.


And that's two inside brackets completed. The shelves really went together easy and are quite sturdy since I decided to make the inside corner connect with my pocket hole jig.


In part 2, I'll need to decide on the outer shell. How to connect the front board to the top and bottom pieces of wood that will complete the shelf.

0 comments:

Post a Comment